Monday, November 26, 2018

Corrected placement of closing hi tag in Burroughs's Notes on Walt Whitman

Ken noticed that a stretch of text was erroneously being displayed in a small font. I have corrected the problem by closing the tag that creates smallcaps earlier, so that only the title Leaves of Grass is affected. 

~ Brett

Friday, November 2, 2018

Corrected typo in piece of correspondence

James alerted us to an error in the letter from Whitman to his mother of March 29, 1864. A number had been incorrectly transcribed as "6000" when it should have been "600" and a closing parenthesis was missing. I have corrected the mistake.

- Kevin

Signatures (with affiliations) removed from the end of biography

I have removed Ed's and Ken's signatures from the bottom of the text of the biography. The impetus was a long-standing problem: Ken's affiliation was given as "College of William and Mary." In the years since this problem was noted, however, the need for the signature at the bottom has been obviated by the addition of the authors' names to the top of the page, so rather than update the affiliation I have removed the signature block from the end.

~ Brett

Hyphenated publication dates added to index page for "Other Books"

I have corrected the publication dates for Drum-Taps and Sequel to Drum-Taps and Memoranda During the War listed on the index page of the "Other Books" subsection of "Published Works" so as to conform to our decision to use the dates given in the front matter, with both years fully spelled out.

~ Brett

Thursday, November 1, 2018

Eight file names changed to resolve duplication across Archive

In comparing all of the XML files across the different subsections of the Archive, I discovered that eight file names had apparently been accidentally assigned to two different objects, both of which were present in one of the Archive directories but only one of which had been recorded in the tracking database. In most cases I have therefore renamed one of each pair of files, recorded new file names in the database, and corrected links to each of the files. In the case of biography/correspondence/tei/nyp.00250.xml, I discovered that the file was a duplicate of the file in manuscripts/tei/nyp.00250.xml, so I deleted the one in correspondence, as the item is not a piece of correspondence. These are the other specific changes: biography/correspondence/tei/loc.00151.xml was renamed loc.04348; biography/correspondence/tei/anc.00171.xml was renamed anc.00118.xml; criticism/interviews/tei/med.00851.xml was renamed med.00015.xml; criticism/interviews/tei/med.00546.xml was renamed med.00016.xml; criticism/reviews/tei/anc.00273 was renamed anc.00146.xml; published/foreign/tei/med.00401.xml was renamed med.00017.xml; about/tei/anc.00140.xml was renamed anc.00145.xml.

~ Brett