392 additional entries from Walt Whitman: An Encyclopedia, ed. J. R. LeMaster and Donald D. Kummings (New York: Garland Publishing, 1998) are now available on the Whitman Archive encyclopedia index page, bringing the total number of available entries to 565. Thanks to Alexander Ashland, Regan Chasek, Sara Duke, Said Fallaha, Caitlin Henry, and Jeannette Schollaert for their work to get these entries published on the Archive.
Thursday, October 12, 2017
Monday, October 9, 2017
In order to bring them in line with our editorial policy for titles elsewhere on the Archive, we have edited the titles of several editorials that Whitman wrote for the New York Aurora. The titles altered were for the editorials with the following WWA IDs: per.00378, per.00382, per.00388, per.00392, per.00395, and per.00399.
Friday, October 6, 2017
I have added an announcement about the publication of the New York Aurora editorials to the Archive's "News and Updates" page.
Blake Bronson-Bartlett and Ian Faith have rejoined the project staff and had been included in the current staff list, but they were also still included in the list of "past project staff." I have removed their names from the "past staff" section.
Tuesday, October 3, 2017
I have updated the downloads page to include a link to our newly public Git repositories, which allow users to download up-to-date TEI/XML files associated with six sections of the Whitman Archive: correspondence, manuscripts, marginalia and annotations, notebooks, reviews, and scribal documents.
Monday, October 2, 2017
I have made a series of corrections to the punctuation, spacing, and capitalization of the 1855 edition of Leaves of Grass. These changes include:
- Capitalized title text on title page
- Removed extraneous comma from copyright statement
- Changed period to comma at the end of “The suicide sprawls on the bloody floor of the bedroom,” (p. 17)
- Removed space from “near by” at the top of p. 19
- Added comma to end of “The western turkey-shooting draws old and young . . . . some lean on their rifles,” (p. 22)
- Adjusted (mis)spelling of “adobe” to “abode” to match image on p. 23
- Changed period to comma at the end of “Breast that presses against other breasts it shall be you,” (p. 30)
- Adjusted the location of the line break in line that begins “Hands I have taken” (p. 30)
- Adjusted the location of the line break in line that begins “I hear the bravuras of birds” (p. 31)
- Removed extraneous comma in line “But I know it is sure and alive and sufficient” (p. 49)
- Adjusted (mis)spelling of “and” to “aud” to match image on p. 58
- Adjusted the location of the line break in line that begins “The old forever new things” (p. 61)
- Adjusted the location of the line break in line that begins “The designs for wallpapers” (p. 63)
- Added missing line break to the line that begins “And liquor is spilled on lips” (p. 72)
- Added missing line break to the line that begins “It is dark here underground” (p. 72)
- Changed semi-colon to colon at the end of the line beginning “I love the rich running day” (p. 77)
- Adjusted the location of the line break in line that begins “He was a frequent gunner and fisher” (p. 79)
- Changed period to exclamation point in line that begins “Those are really men!” (p. 83)
- Changed comma to period at the end of the line that begins “They shall get a grant” (p. 89)
- Changed period to comma at the end of the line that begins “They rule on the highest” (p. 95)
- Added missing line breaks to the following pages: pp. 17, 18, 20, 25, 29, 30, 31, 33, 38, 40, 41, 48, 49, 51, 52, 54, 56, 59, 68, 69, 71, 73, 74, 75, 77, 89, 91, 92, 94