Friday, October 31, 2008

Periodicals section updated

I have added my essay, "Editing Whitman's Poems in Periodicals," to the Periodicals section of the site. I've also slightly revised the index page for "Whitman's Poems in Periodicals," including revisions to titles of the two introductory essays and the addition of author names. In addition, I have moved the link that used to appear on the index page that linked to poems misattributed to Whitman. This link now appears at the beginning of the Bibliography of Whitman's Poems first Published in Periodicals,

Both Susan's essay, "Introduction to Whitman's Poems in Periodicals," and mine are also now linked from Articles and Interviews about the Archive, per Ken's instruction.

I'll be continuing to update (adding new material and fixing oddities) the Periodicals section over the next couple of weeks.


Corrections to reviews xml and html files

I believe I have addressed the problem with italics in the review tei files. A majority of untitled reviews for which we derived an Archive title, such as [Review of Leaves of Grass (1881-1882)], did not include <hi rend="italic"> around book titles (this was not just an LG issue, as was previously thought) in either <titleStmt><title> or <head>. In the display of the reviews, the content of <head> appears at the beginning of the document, and the publication information following the review pulls information from the content of <title> in <titleStmt>. I have revised the tei files, and italics should now be displaying in both places. Something to think about: <hi rend="italic"> is allowed in <title>, but for some reason it seems a little strange to me, and without more investigation I'm not sure how common its use is in <title> across other Archive files. This may be an issue to revisit as we develop plans for migrating to p5, since it could be one of those places where we can achieve an even finer level of consistency.

I fixed a broken link in the publication information of anc.00189,

I also updated <title> on several html pages because the titles, which appear in Google/other search engine results and at the top of the browser, were incorrect.


Monday, October 27, 2008

"Electronic Scholarly Editions" added to the Archive

I have added Ken's essay, "Electronic Scholarly Editions," first published in the Blackwell Companion to Digital Literary Studies, to the Articles and Interviews section of the Archive. Thanks to Sarah for encoding.


Friday, October 24, 2008

Corrected Minor Error in the Image Descriptions

As some of you may have noticed, there was a minor error in the way the descriptions accompanying the Whitman photos displayed on the Archive website. What should have been an mdash appeared as "รข€." The error should now be fixed.


Wednesday, October 15, 2008

FAQ moved

After a conversation with Ken, I've moved the "Frequently Asked Questions" link so that it is now under "Project and Staff Information," rather than "Methodology and Standards" on the About page.


Monday, October 13, 2008

Handwriting Tool

I've updated and reformatted the handwriting tool "unScripting Whitman" to fit in with the look and feel of the site. The URL and access to the tool from the encoding guidelines remain the same (although the name will be changed in the wiki table of contents to Whitman Handwriting Tool).


Sunday, October 12, 2008

1855 review tweaked

The Sept 15, 1855 review, "Leaves of Grass"—An Extraordinary Book," included this sentence:

"It is one of the strangest compounds of transcendentalism, bombast, philosophy, folly, wisdom, wit and dullness which it ever catered into the heart of man to conceive."

I assumed "catered" was a typo for "entered" and then verified that "entered" appears in the copy of the Brooklyn Daily Eagle online.


Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Article added to the "Articles and Interview" section

I have added William Pannapacker's article "The Walt Whitman Archive: The Body of Work Electric" to the "Articles and Interviews" section of the Archive website. The online version still needs to be compared to the print version in detail, since I based the encoding off of a Word file.


Friday, October 3, 2008

Live reviews updated

I have uploaded revised versions of the reviews files to the live site. These revised files include all of the work that Sabrina and Ken have done adding footnotes to the new reviews, as well as updated TEI headers. In some cases I have also taken care of some small validation errors that were apparently holdovers from an earlier stage in the process.

I've also fixed the the title problem in anc.00020, available, after checking it against our photocopy of the review.

Prior to uploading the new versions of the files, I did back up the older versions, so we can reinstate anything if necessary.


Thursday, October 2, 2008

More tweaking of guidelines

I've converted more of the wiki markup so that the page now displays an auto-generated table of contents.


Wednesday, October 1, 2008

updating the guidelines

I have started the process of updating the guidelines.

I changed: last updated to "October 2008." I added as funders: American Council of Learned Societies, The Institute of Museum and Library Services, and The National Historical Publications and Records Commission. I changed the distributor from IATH at Virginia to CDRH at Nebraska.

The copyright date was changed from 2005 to 2008.

I deleted IATH as a sponsor. Daniel Pitti continues to serve as a consultant, but I don't think we can say that IATH is any longer a sponsor.


Encoding Guidelines moved

I've finished a first round of editing the PmWiki version of the guidelines and have made this version the destination of the link on the Archive. Unlike the MediaWiki version that's been the destination for the last couple of months, this PmWiki version is not password-protected. I've also added Middlebury College to the table of Preferred Citations.